Application for Novel Food in Thailand
I.Definition of Novel Food in Thailand
According to B.E. 2559 (2016) Re: Novel Food in Thailand must meet one of the following criteria:
1) Any substance used as food or food ingredient that has not been consumed in Thailand for more than 15 years.
2) Any substance used as food or food ingredient that has been produced using a new production process that is not widely used, and the new process significantly changes the composition or structure of the food, affecting its nutritional value, metabolism, or content of harmful substances.
3) Any food that contains the above-mentioned substances as ingredients.
II. Requirement for an Applicant
The applicant has to be a company within Thailand.
III.Application Time Frame and Procedure
It takes around 1-3 years from document preparation to the completion of registration.
TFDA only designates four accredited safety assessment institutions, including the Medical Science Research Institute of the Food and Drug Administration, the Food Research Institute of the Ministry of Industry, the Thailand Risk Assessment Center (TRAC), and the National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC) (only for novel foods obtained from genetically modified microorganisms without any residual microorganisms and genetic material). The assessment period varies depending on the designated institution.
IV. Application Documents
1. General information on ingredients
2. General information on the product
3. Consumption history
4. Specifications of raw materials
5. Product specifications
6. Testing report
7. Storage conditions
8. Production process
9. Information on compounds used in production
10. Methods of consumption
11. Safety information
12. Nutritional data
13. Safety assessment results from other countries/regions/international organizations
V. Our Services
- Feasibility analysis of novel food registration in Thailand
- Registration application for novel food in Thailand
- Testing services for novel food in Thailand
- Other customized compliance consulting services