On 10 November 2022, National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) released an announcement to pilot personalized cosmetic service in five provinces/municipalities, Beijing, Shanghai, Zhejiang, Shangdong, and Guangdong. It aims to satisfy the diverse demand of consumers by exploring the replicable model of personalized cosmetic service and effective supervision. The pilot project launches this November and runs for a year.
I. Objectives of the Pilot Project
1. Explore models of personalized service. Pilot enterprises are encouraged to conduct pilot projects of the skin test, product tracking, plan for personalized cosmetic service, etc. on general cosmetics of make-ups, skincare, etc.
2. Explore effective supervision of personalized cosmetics service. In compliance with current cosmetics regulations, drug product administration of the assigned provinces/municipalities is encouraged to upgrade the supervision system and optimize the administration of notification, test, sample retention, distribution, etc.
3. Draw up normative documents on personalized cosmetic service. Current documents need to be optimized, in compliance with regulations on cosmetics notification, production, risk monitoring, etc., to ensure the quality and safety of cosmetics, and meanwhile meet the diverse demands of consumers.
II. Requirementsfor the Pilot Project
1. The pilot project is subject to the Regulations on the Supervision and Administration of Cosmetics and its subsidiary legislation.
2. Cosmetics eligible for this pilot project shall be general cosmetics, excluding special cosmetics, cosmetics for children, and cosmetics using new ingredients.
3. The pilot project shall align with the need of consumers, and have the value to scale up in society.